Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Waterproof Backpacks Reviewed
When you are choosing a backpack, whether you use it for work, travel, college, hobbies, or for exploring the outdoors, you need to make sure that your new backpack’s shell and constructed materials are waterproof.
Today’s market is saturated with cheap, poorly constructed packs that won’t perform their intended utility.
That is why our team has put many of today’s best waterproof backpacks to the test, and hand selected our top quality picks, so you can feel confident about your new backpack’s performance.
There are a number of situations that could mean you and your backpack are getting wet, from the weather, spills, kayaking, and other circumstances. But when you are using a well made and a quality waterproof backpack, it gives you peace of mind that your belongings can be looked after and protected.
Water damage is something that can be quite harmful to a number of items that you are likely to be carrying in your backpack.
Laptops, phones, tablets, headphones, cameras, and other technology can be damaged by water. Water damage for these items often isn’t covered by insurance and can invalidate a warranty, so if you buy a cheap waterproof backpack, then you could pay for it down the line when your belongings become damaged.
You could also be carrying things like important school work, documents, books, and even food too. All of these things can get damaged by water in different ways, which can be costly in more ways than one.
A quality waterproof backpack could save your important work, or prevent wet clothes on a rainy hike, which is another reason why keeping versatility in mind is vital when choosing a reliable water proof backpack is essential.
See our Favorite Waterproof Backpack
Top Waterproof Backpack Comparison Chart
When you choose a quality backpack that is waterproof, it can help you on your outdoor adventures, your studies, and your work, and bring you great peace of mind for whatever circumstances you need to use your backpack for.
You can take a look at the features, the styles, the benefits, and then decide which will be best suited to your needs.
Best Waterproof Backpack
The Nelson-Rigg Hurricane waterproof backpack comes in a twenty-liter size, as well as a forty-liter size, so there are options if you want a small waterproof backpack or a larger one.
The bags are made to be 100% waterproof. This is because all of the seams on the bag are electronically heat welded to ensure water tightness, and the bags are also made from a durable UV coated PVC tarpaulin.
This is a roll closure that has a quick release buckle. You can seal the bag in two ways, such as sealing the bag over the top, or sealing from down the sides of the bag.
The bag also features a waterproof purge valve, which helps to compress the bag, ensuring water tightness, and there is also a bungee storage system on the outside of the bag, to store things that don’t need to be protected like water bottles or canisters.
The backpack can be used as a computer backpack as there is an inner sleeve that holds folders, laptops, books, and tablet devices.
On the whole, though, it is a bag designed with durability in mind as it is pretty heavy-duty, and works well for outdoor exploration, even featuring a waterproof document or map pocket.
The backpack comes with straps that are three-way, and because they are padded, they are designed with your comfort and wearing style in mind.
- Fit Type: Universal Fit
The MIER Insulated waterproof backpack is a great option for hiking, camping, and other outdoor pursuits. MIER are innovative when they design their backpacks, helping them to be practical, functional, and comfortable.
The backpack is quite large in size, as you can choose a thirty-liter size or a fifty-liter size. It features a welded tarpaulin exterior to ensure that it is completely waterproof and insulated, and comes with straps, carry handles, exterior side pockets, as well as straps for tying down.
As the backpack is a cooler backpack that is fully insulated, it features ventilated and padded straps making it simple and comfortable to carry, as you’re likely to fill the back right up on long outdoor adventures. Straps for the sternum and waist also help to make the backpack comfortable to carry as it evenly distributes the weight.
As would be expected with this kind of backpack, the inside has a heat-sealed and fully waterproof lining so that there aren’t leaks, and with a roll-top on the backpack, it means that there is extra waterproof protection.
Not only that, but there is an air valve once the back is packed up and rolled, to ensure that there isn’t any extra air in the insulated part of the bag.
If you don’t want to use this as an insulated backpack, then it is an excellent dry bag backpack. It is designed well, is very durable, and has plenty of padding to make this a comfortable bag to carry.
- Waterproof Roll Top Backpack --- Made of waterproof abrasion-resistant tarpaulin material. Hook & loop closure and roll-top with buckles, fully welded seams keep an airtight seal, ensure a 100% waterproof. Heavy-duty EVA reinforced bottom is very durable and keeps the bag upright. Sturdy enough, stopping water, rain, snow, or sand from entering and keep your gear dry during adventures at outdoors
- Leakproof & Insulated Cooler Bag --- Interior comes with thick premium thermal insulation and food-grade PEVA lining (BPA free), heat-welded seams and zipper-less design prevent the liner leaks. Airtight compartment prolongs the cool time. This soft cooler can keep the stuff cold/fresh for 12-24 hours subject to the content and working places
- Large & Deep Capacity --- Available in 30L/50L, 4 colors. The flexibility of the roll top is a big plus when storing larger items. Wide-mouth main compartment, large enough to fit more than 52 Cans (30L can fit 30 cans), 1 front mesh pocket, 2 side pockets with spring buckles to tighten the stuff from falling, small zipper pocket on both side waist strap to organize your values; Bungee cords, daisy chains and adjustable webbing straps with buckle closure on front for extra attachments
- More Thoughtful Details --- A knob on the front that lets in the air or helps purge the air when folding at the top; DURAFLEX buckles and reinforced stitches to guarantee long-lasting use; Reflective details on the front and bungee cords provide extra security; The main compartment lining can be pulled out, easy to clean; Great design for camping, hiking, picnic, fishing, kayaking, day trip, and other outdoor sports
- Comfortable to Wear --- MIER cooler backpack was designed with fully adjustable cushioned backpack strap with sternum straps and waist strap to distribute the load, 2 thick pads on the rear for ventilation and comfort carry on the back, 1 top grab handle for versatile carry
This backpack is really designed to be roughly used. It is fully waterproof, looks good, and is designed with practicality in mind.
The bag is constructed with electronically heat-welded seams to make sure that it is always waterproof and makes it a great companion for the outdoor environment.
Its tactical nature allows it to be used for a number of outdoor adventures like watersports, climbing, hiking, fishing, kayaking, swimming, rafting, and so on.
It works well for outdoor pursuits as it is essentially a dry bag that is resistant to things like corrosion and abrasion, helping it to last and last. It can cope with extremes in temperature too, making it a good choice for the outdoors.
The bag has a capacity of forty liters, which is a good size to take away all of the things that you would use this bag for, and keep all of your belongings secure and waterproof.
This bag also features a six removable exterior pockets that can easily be attached or removed from the core backpack itself.This means that you’ll be able to carry plenty of things with you, and access them with ease.
The bag is made of materials that are easy to wipe clean, which is a must after use in the outdoors. Definitely consider this to be one of our toughest picks for waterproof backpacks.
- TRULY VERSATILE: Our 40L stealth bug out bag can be used for an emergency or any survival situation. Heavy duty zippers, pockets, buckles and padded straps give you the guaranteed reliability you need.
- EXTRA STORAGE: 6 molle bags are included (3 large bags, 2 medium bags and one flashlight holder). Easily store clothes, food or accessories for your activity.
- 100% WATERPROOF: Have the peace of mind that your contents will be dry inside even around water.
- COMFORTABLE: Adjustable padded shoulder and waist straps for all around comfort
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: We're a USA company and we know you will love our dry bag! *The current 40L black bags have a BRU Active Logo.
The IDRYBAG is a forty-five-liter waterproof dry bag backpack, which is a great size for a bag to fit in all that you would need for trips and adventures, as everything could be in one place.
It is suitable for use in extreme and adverse weather conditions as it is made with durability in mind, and only made from quality materials.
The bag is fully waterproof, featuring welded seams, making it a superb choice for a waterproof backpack that is also dustproof, tearproof, and resistant to dirt. It can be easily wiped clean after any outdoor trip.
The bag features some padded comfortable straps and buckles, that are durable, well made, and firm, to ensure comfort when carrying the bag. You can tell the precision and quality of which the bag is made easily, helping you to enjoy a good experience with this outdoors.
IDRYBAG are known for their quality outdoor sports bags, so this is no different. The backpack comes with a detachable tablet storage pocket, and phone pockets are available too, so it means that you can put a variety of things in the bag, and know that they will all stay safe and secure, as well as protected from water, and not just be loose in the bag.
This style of backpack is an eye-catching bag, available in a variety of different colors, and would work well for families and individuals alike.
- 500D Waterproof Fabric: Adopt 500D PVC heavy duty high-frequency welded seams material, IDRYBAG 45L waterproof backpack dry bag has superb waterproof, dustproof and scratchproof performance. Your dry bag backpack suits for various outdoor activities, such as hiking, camping, climbing, biking and water sports like floating, kayaking, swimming, boating, canoeing, fishing, rafting, surfing.. Just equip your gear and enjoy adventure!
- Top Hood and Laptop Sleeve: Your waterproof bag backpack has a protective top hood for extra insurance against leaks getting to the inside, keeping the gears dry. The main compartment of 45L dry bag backpack is roomy enough that has lots of storage space to put whatever you want. Meanwhile, the internal detachable laptop sleeve is a highlight of this waterproof backpack. It can hold up to 14 inches laptop or tablet and come with a zipper pocket for accessories, such as cable, earphone, charger.
- Scientific Design: Sponge filled shoulder straps greatly improve the comfort when you carrying this waterproof backpack. External mesh pocket works well for dry and wet separation. You can store the wet clothes and wet towels without dampening the contents of dry backpack. Side pouch is perfect for putting water bottle and umbrella to grab quickly. Besides, we set a reflective strip on this dry bag, which is highly visible also has warning effect at night. That means your safety is assured.
- Easy to Use: Align the strap on top of the backpack dry bag after stores your gear, roll it down 3-4 times and fasten each side buckle to complete the seal, then connect the buckles of top cap to the straps on this bag, tighten up these two straps for a more compressed fit. The adjustable and removable chest strap provides a good fixation which allows this waterproof dry backpack tightly against your body. Never worry about it would sway around even doing big movements.
- 100% Pleased Customer Service: IDRYBAG team is committed to provide the best products and services for every customer. We would do whatever it costs to achieve your satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with our dry bag, just contact us without any hesitation. We will solve all your problems and confusions at the first time.
The Earth Pak waterproof backpack is designed with complete waterproof protection in mind, so it can be used for a variety of things, and even used as a laptop backpack to keep your laptop safe and dry.
No matter if you will use this for outdoor adventures, travel, or everyday life, it is a good choice to protect your belongings. The bag features a roll-top closure to act as a dry-bag, to ensure belongings are looked after and kept dry.
The Earth Pak also comes with a lot of storage, as there are additional pockets on the inside of the bag, as well as on the outside of the bag. There are also mesh compartments, zipper pockets, and keyrings, to store all that you need to.
It can be a good option for travel as it is lightweight and pretty compact. Not only that, but you can easily use it for things like biking, as there are some handy d-rings on the bag straps, to ensure convenience for attaching to a bike.
Earth Pak design their bags with comfort in mind, as that is essential when carrying things on travels and trips. The bag is made with a padded back panel, ergonomic shoulder straps, and a sternum strap.
It also comes with a waist strap helping to balance out the weight from the bag, making it much more comfortable to carry than ones without these features.
- COMPLETE WATERPROOF PROTECTION: Ensure your gear stays completely dry while traveling, kayaking, biking, commuting, camping, hiking and fishing.
- EASY TO USE: Designed with a roll-top closure and single reinforced strip to ensure water stays out. Simply fold the bag down 3-4 times, buckle, and you are ready to go!
- PLENTY OF EXTRA STORAGE: Equipped with pockets on both the inside and outside of the bag. A large splash-proof zipper on the outside for quick grab and go items, and a built-in zippered pocket, mesh compartment, & key ring on the inside.
- SAFE FOR TRAVEL: Compact and lightweight for easy carry on an airplane & roll top closure provides ultimate protection while traveling. Convenient D-Rings attached to both shoulder straps and MOLLE system looping both provide anchor points to latch onto while boating or biking.
- BUILT FOR COMFORT: Constructed with an ergonomic padded backpanel, reinforced contoured shoulder straps, and low-profile sternum strap providing ultimate comfort by taking the weight off your back. In addition, a heavy duty waist-belt relieves added pressure to help support your load.
Top Waterproof Backpack Features To Consider
You need your backpack to be able to fit your needs, as well as being built to last.
One that is waterproof is also a must, especially for travel and outdoor pursuits, so that your belongings can be protected and you can have peace of mind, no matter where your travels take you.
Having a backpack that is built to be able to deal with any adverse weather, as well as being durable and resistant to scratches and marks, is something that can be well worth what you pay for it.
As the saying goes, buy cheap and you buy twice, which is why looking for a quality waterproof backpack is a must.
Not all waterproof backpacks are created equal, and they can offer different levels of protection. So if you want a backpack that is well made and designed with protection in mind, then there are some important features to look out for.
Size and Capacity
The size and the capacity of the bag can play a big part in your choice, as it needs to be big enough to carry all that you require for your needs.
It is important that it is also the right kind of weight that you can carry, and will be able to be taken where you want to. If you’re looking for one to take on a plane, then it would need to fit cabin baggage size requirements, for example.
There are a number of bags to choose from that are quality and waterproof; you just need to think about exactly what you will be using it for, and then go from there.
As briefly mentioned above, the weight of the bag plays a big part when it comes to using a backpack. You don’t want one that will be too heavy or cumbersome to carry.
There are a number of features that many backpacks offer, though, from sternum straps, waist straps, padded backs, and lumbar support, in order to make carrying the bag more comfortable and to distribute the weight of the bag and contents more evenly.
Regardless, a heavy bag will be harder to carry for long periods of time. If you will be mostly using it strapped to a motorcycle, then weight can be less of a concern.
For hiking, a backpack full of gear shouldn’t be more than 10% of your total body weight ideally, and for other pursuits, no more than 20%. Just something to consider as you choose a backpack, and also think about what you pack into your backpack.
When choosing a quality waterproof backpack, make sure that you do look out for one that is fully waterproof, rather than just water-resistant.
Waterproof backpacks tend to be made from nylon, and are often coated and heat-sealed, to make sure that there are no water leaks.
This means that they can be submerged and keep belongings safe. If a backpack is water-resistant, then it means that it could deal with a small amount of rain, but if the bag fell in a river, then it would mean disaster for your belongings.