Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Underwater Boat Lights Reviewed
There is no denying that a nice arrangement of underwater boat lights make for a very classy look. That colored underwater glow adds a level of sophistication that is unmatched by lighting above the water line.
Today’s best underwater boat lights have come a long way from the marine lights of old.
Modern underwater lights provide a variety of color availability as well as effects like crossfade, dim control, and even strobe. With marine grade housing and hardware, you can know your investment is built to last.
The trouble comes with sorting through all the different models available. Bargain basement underwater lights aren’t going to stand the test of time. So which models are reliable and preferred in the vanguard of boating circles? We’re here to help with that.
If you can’t tell already, we’re big boating fans here at Rowing One and we want to help you get set up with underwater boat lighting that you will love for years to come. With that said, there are some important details to consider in order to get the best underwater lighting system so you can enjoy your lights and avoid unexpected failure, replacement, or leaks.
The list of features below is meant to help you with making an informed decision when you are considering which boat lights will meet your preferences. We’ve also included a comparison table of 5 of the most popular and reliable underwater boat lights, just to make the details a little easier to digest. If you’re searching for the best underwater boat lights, we’re sure this guide can point you in the right direction.
Top Underwater Boat Lights Features To Consider
- Brightness – Like many other lighting solutions today, underwater boat lights are rated in lumens. You might be more familiar with watts as a unit of measurement, but lumens are a more accurate measure of the amount of light produced by a given source. High quality underwater boat lights are often the most bright as well as being dimmable. We really like this option because you can always dim your underwater lighting if it seems too bright, as opposed to a lower-quality light that won’t produce enough light for your needs.
- Color – When it comes to underwater boat lights, blue and white are by far the most popular options. Green and red are also common options. We really like the combination lighting option available as well, which often come in blue/white or blue/green, and can be changed from one color option to the other. These combinations effectively provide you with two different underwater lights in one unit.
- Effects –Along with providing color changes, high quality under water boat lights also provide some limited effects. Thankfully we’re not talking about mimicking a Pink Floyd concert here, but there are some neat and helpful aspects to the effects available. Setting up a coordinated color scheme is that much more effective when run in combination with options like strobe, cross fade, and dimmable lighting as well.
- Marine Grade – This is feature really cannot be over-emphasized. Be careful with inexpensive bargain lighting solutions. The alloys used in the housing of the lights and hardware is sometimes questionable and can cause premature failure. The last thing you want is a dead underwater light that requires pulling your boat from the water in order to repair, or more likely, replace.
- Drilling – Nearly all underwater boat lights of any quality are going to require drilling a hole in the hull around 1/2 inch in size which will allow for the wiring to pass through. After applying some marine sealant, the housing will also require fasteners that fixate the underwater light to the hull.
Top Underwater Boat Lights Comparison Chart
Best Underwater Boat Lights
One of the highest-quality underwater marine lights on the market at the moment, Lumitec’s SeaBlazeX underwater boat light is a popular product for night fishing. Offering incredibly powerful lighting, and a selection of colors, these lights are among the brightest available.
The Lumitec SeaBlaze range is renowned for its quality and performance. Lumitec SeaBlazeX lights come in a range of colors, including white, green, blue and dual-tone white and blue, and with in-built controls, you can flick between colors or change modes at the touch of a button with no need for external controllers.
The power of these underwater LED lights is undoubtedly a selling point. Lighting up to 4,000 lumens with a range of settings to switch between strobe and cross-fade, you can customize your lights to suit all scenarios and environments. The lights are powered by 12-24 volt DC and they are contained within sleek, marine-grade bronze alloy casing. The marine-grade housing is designed to offer protection from the elements and enhance durability and longevity. With these lights, you don’t have to worry about corrosion or general wear and tear associated with adverse weather conditions. All products also undergo rigorous salt spray testing at Lumitec’s state of the art development facility, so you can rest assured that you’re buying a product that will last.
In addition to offering potent lighting, the Lumitec SeaBlazeX underwater boat light also offers simple, hassle-free installation thanks to small through-hull holes.
Lumitec has designed a range of LED boat lights to enhance usability, and the innovative Timed Toggle Protocol (TTP) enables users to adjust the mode or change color simply by using power toggles.
In summary, if you’re looking for incredibly powerful underwater boat lights, which offer different color options and guaranteed longevity, the Lumitec SeaBlazeX marine light should be on your shopping list.
- Up to 4000 Lumens, 12 volt DC to 24 volt DC (10-30 vDC)
- Marine grade bronze alloy housing
- Available Colors: White, Blue, Green, white/blue, with strobe and cross fade modes
- Transom mountable, small 1/2" through hole
The Jiawill CREE LED underwater boat light offers users bright lighting and quick, hassle-free installation. A mid-range product, which will appeal to a wide range of buyers, this low-profile light is suited to everything from sunset parties to dock fishing.
One of the standout features of this Jiawill LED light is its durability and toughness. Designed to withstand the elements, this shock-resistant light is encased in marine-grade stainless steel and protected by a shatter-proof polycarbonate glass film. In addition, this product boasts over-temperature protection, which enables users to surface-mount the light without any worries about damaging the mechanisms.
There is a choice of colors available with the Jiawill CREE lights, with 12 CREE LEDs to create red, green and blue lighting and 6 CREE LEDs for white light.
The design of the light is streamlined and compact, which makes it suitable for a wide range of buyers and it offers bright light, boasting 2853 lumens.
Overall, we can’t say that The Jiawill CREE LED underwater boat light is a top of the range product, because it’s not quite as versatile as some of its rivals. However, you do get a lot for money, as these lights are incredibly durable, and therefore offer excellent value for money. If you’re looking for a reliable, affordable boat light that will survive for years and you don’t want or need all the bells or whistles, this could be an excellent choice for you.
- The vibration and shock resistant underwater boat light has a 316 marine grade stainless steel housing with a shatterproof polycarbonate lens.
- This boat light uses 6 Cree 10watt LEDs to produce white illumination or 12 Cree LEDs for red, green, or blue illumination,2853 lumens
- Exclusive over temperature protection ensures the light can operate above without damage,no external driver within a wide 9-32V DC range,there are fewer connections and devices to fail and less equipment to mount
- Super lower profile (17mm) and smaller footprint,diameter of light body is only 94mm
- Installation hardware is included for surface-mounting on a variety of transom types, or install on your boat's trim tab with a mounting bracket (sold separately).
Part of Lumitec’s best-selling SeaBlaze range, the SeaBlaze3 underwater boat light offers a great range of features at a competitive price.
Less expensive than the SeaBlazeX, the SeaBlaze3 may appeal to a more diverse range of consumers. These lights offer up to 1729 lumens using either 12 or 24 volts DC, making them an ideal option for smaller boats and those who enjoy activities such as night fishing and swimming.
The SeaBlaze3, like its more advanced counterpart, the SeaBlazeX, offers in-built controls, which enable you to adjust the settings without the need for external devices. With TTP (Timed Toggle Protocol), you can change the lights or adjust the mode to cross fade without using separate controls. It’s also possible to dim the lights using the toggle system, which gives you control over the intensity.
Lumitec prides itself on producing high-quality products that last, and the SeaBlaze 3 lights undergo strenuous testing at the company’s state of the art facilities to ensure durability and strength. The casing isn’t quite as impressive as the naval-grade bronze alloy used for the SeaBlazeX, but it is made from tough, durable marine-grade aluminum.
These lights are easy to fit, and they can be mounted on the transom by drilling a small ½ inch through-hull hole.
In summary, the Lumitec SeaBlaze3 offers many of the same features as the impressive SeaBlazeX at a lower price. The brightness may be an issue for larger boats, for example, yachts, but this is a great product for owners of smaller boats who don’t need 4,000 lumens. This product is less versatile than the SeaBlazeX, but it will appeal to those who are looking to spend less and still get a high-quality, innovative boat light.
- 1729 lumens, 12 volt DC to 24 volt DC, 10 - 30v DC
- Marine grade anodized aluminum housing
- Dimmable, no external controllers required
- Transom mountable with only a small 1/2 inch through-hull hole
- 2.4 Amps at 12v DC, 1.1 Amps at 24v DC
Part of Attwood’s renowned underwater LED light range, the Light Armor is a premium surface mount LED light, which is built to tackle even the harshest and most hostile environments. When the weather turns, you don’t need to worry with Attwood Light Armor underwater lights.
The Light Armor range includes a variety of products, offering a variety of sizes, including 3, 6 and 12 LED models. The lights come in three vivid colors, blue, green and white, and there’s a choice of high-performance and extra high-performance settings available.
Attwood claims to offer buyers the chance to take advantage of the brightest lights out there at the moment, with up to 5,000 lumens. The intensity and power of these underwater lights makes them suitable for boats that require bright light spanning a large area, for example, night fishing boats and yachts. With these lights, you can illuminate vast stretches of water, making it easy to navigate adverse conditions and identify prime spots.
The Attwood Light Armor LED underwater light is built to last, and it has been designed with the toughest and most challenging conditions in mind. The stainless steel casing is resistant to corrosion, UV damage and chemicals, and it also features an impact-resistant lens. The electronic components are secured in a fully-sealed, waterproof chamber.
In addition to power and durability, this product is also simple to install with basic mounting equipment and a sheathed wire.
The Attwood Light Armor underwater LED light is a fantastic choice for buyers searching for bright lights that will illuminate expansive areas. Available in different colors and boasting robust weather-proofing and security features, this product offers good value for money. The power of the lights makes these lights suitable for a wide range of applications.
- Same Day Shipping on Request
- Best Value and Performance in its Class
- 15-Years as premier solution provider
- Complimentary White Glove Service - Just-Ask-We-Take-Care-of-It
These underwater transom lights from SeaSense are designed to provide night swimmers and fishermen with intense light at a great price.
SeaSence surface mount underwater fishing lights are ideally suited to amateur anglers and boating enthusiasts who are looking for an understated, affordable LED light. With a transom-mount and four 3-watt bright blue and white LEDs, you can illuminate the waters around you with minimal hassle, making swimming and fishing after dark safer and more enjoyable.
These lights are sleek and compact, they’re simple to install and they last up to 50,000 hours. The lights are housed in weather-proof casing made from robust materials, including stainless steel, which prolongs lifespan and ensures value for money.
The beauty of the SeaSense surface mount boat lights is their accessibility. Available at a low price, these lights can be snapped up by anyone who enjoys boating, snorkeling or night swimming. If you find boating relaxing, or you’re keen to make the most of the time you have available to swim or go fishing, you can use these lights to enjoy your leisure time long after the sun has set.
This SeaSense product is not as sophisticated as the other underwater transom lights we’ve explored in this guide, but it offers an alternative for those who don’t want to spend a lot of money, but would benefit from buying LED underwater lights. If you don’t need an array of features, and you’re not fussed about the latest gadgetry, this is a product that is bound to appeal to you.
The SeaSense surface mount underwater light is a basic product that does exactly what it says on the tin. Offering powerful lighting for those who like to fish, swim, snorkel or go out boating in the evenings, this light is ideally suited to those who don’t want to break the bank to take advantage of a good quality product that has been well-received by buyers. If you don’t need or want all the mod cons, and you’re on a budget, this could be the best option for you.
- Transom mount
- 4 x 3-watt LEDs
- 50,000 hour lifespan
- Blue LED lights