Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Floating Water Mats Reviewed
Whether you are on vacation or you just need to take a break in life, what floats your boat, literally?
When you are looking for something that you can float away on but is also a lot of fun, finding the best floating water mat can tick so many boxes.
These fantastic inflatable or solid foam mats are also known as water platforms, water islands, water lounges, or lily pad floats, they are a handy accessory when you are venturing out away from land and need a little something to relax on that gives you a little bit more space than your boat would.
Suitable for adults and kids alike, a floating water mat gives the younger members of the family the opportunity to chase each other around, jump off into the water, all while getting that important time outside away from any form of video game.
All you need to do is sit back with a couple of drinks and float away (in your mind). A floating water mat is almost like a carpet, but one you can roll onto the water, attaching to your boat for extra safety. Without needing any assembly or inflation, all you need to do is unroll and you are good to go.
If you read watercraft reviews, you’ll find many people like to use a floating water mat for more than recreational purposes; it’s a perfect way for you to exercise on something soft. Been looking to get into yoga in the sun? It will work wonders.
If you need to improve your swimming, it’s an extra platform that you can attach to your boat or just lay on the sand for extra comfort while on the beach, but with so many different floating water mats out there, what are the best ones?
We’ve picked a handful for you to see exactly what you need. Which of these floats your boat?
Check out our favorite Floating Water Mat
Top Floating Water Mats Comparison Chart
Best Floating Water Mat
The three-layer tear-resistant XPE foam guarantees it doesn’t absorb water when out on the lake.
While it is perfect for adults and children alike you may want to think twice about putting any pets on there as they may very well start to claw the material, and while its material is safe for adults and children, if you put Fido on there, it may only last a couple more years.
Purposely built for lakes, it is the perfect addition for any family looking to venture to the lake and spend a long relaxing summer vacation that sure to be filled with many days of laughter, entertainment, and precious memories made.
It can support between 3 and 5 people and the floating pad is easy to anchor and clean, guaranteeing minimal maintenance and maximum relaxation. What’s more, with the material being odorless, you won’t have to worry about those pesky algae smells sticking to the mat.
Sturdy and incredibly bouncy, it is perfect for those looking for a little sway in their mat. If you’re looking for an easily portable mat, it ticks all the boxes; the two straps can help secure the pad after rolling up and can be stored in any small area. Pitch perfect for small families looking to relax this summer.
- 🌊Three-layer Tear-resistant XPE Foam -- Our floating water pad is made up of three layers of tear-proof XPE foam, which is of good quality, does not absorb water and is not easily deformed. This environmentally friendly material is odorless, bouncy, safe, and smooth surface can make you more comfortable.
- 🌊Rolling Pillow Designed for Relaxation -- Rolled up rolling sleeper design allows to reasonably support your head area and relax your body. You can lie comfortably on top to enjoy life and release stress. It can bring you cool and fun on a hot summer day.
- 🌊Convenient to Roll up and Store -- this floating water pad is lightweight and easy to handle. Two straps are included to help secure the floating pad after rolling up, which is convenient to carry and store. When not need it, you can store it in a small area without taking much room.
- 🌊Easy to Anchor & Clean -- Our floating pad can support large weight and is suitable for 3-5 people. You can use two 4.9’ bungee tethers to secure the floating pad to a dock or other fixed object. And the smooth surface brings more coolness and makes easy to clean.
- 🌊Enjoy Fun on the Water -- Our floating pad is perfect for entertaining and relaxing in water parks, lakes, beaches and the sea. It is the best gift for parents, children and friends to have fun. You can use it for water games, parties, vacations.
Firm, big, and strong, this product is great for couples looking to have a long and relaxing float on the water. Coming in four sizes, it can fit any environment, whether it’s a river, lake, or out on the ocean, there are sizes to suit most needs. With its durable polyester construction, it feels very strong instead of flimsy, giving you extra peace of mind.
Many foam mats can seem a little on the floppy side, but there is no issue with this. Easily storable, it packs down to fit the vast majority of most boat lockers. And the storage bag makes a nice addition.
Quick and effortless to set up, the 6 stainless steel D-rings guarantees you can tether it quickly and get to relaxing. The mat is 3 inches thick so you won’t worry about deflating or sinking, especially when you’re in the middle of a big lake.
Overall, it can withstand anything you throw at it. Coming in sizes from 6′ x 5′ to 10′ x 10′, it is perfect for any flotation function, ranging from couples looking to spread themselves out as wide as possible, or an individual looking for a sturdy platform to stand on while working on their boat. And thanks to its strong material, it will last a long time.
- Super-rigid, high-pressure, drop-stitch construction
- 3- to 5-person capacity; Comfortably supports standing adults
- 6 stainless steel D-ring tie-downs; 6 super-strong, reinforced grab handles
- H3 high-pressure valve for quick inflate/deflate
- Inflate between 7 and 10 PSI
This one is purpose-built for fun. Coming in two sizes, 9 x 6’ and 18 x 6’, it is an ideal floating water mat for the kids. If you want a bit of space from the little ones, this premium quality protection provided by the TUFF-HIDE outer layer guarantees it will withstand anything you throw at it while being gentle on the skin.
The Tear-Stop Inner Matrix technology prevents any small cuts from becoming bigger which will be a lifesaver. And its 12 ft elastic bungee means you can anchor it to any object or dock with easy tethering. And it’s green and orange colors make it highly visible, adding an extra layer of safety for those who want to keep an eye on their kids but still give them the space to have fun.
It comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty which can give you extra peace of mind and as it’s so easy to transport, it is an ideal addition for those that are looking for an extra bit of fun on the lake.
If you are looking for a lot of fun on the water this is made of fantastic material, giving extra peace of mind, and the membrane treatment adds a bit of extra surface protection which is great if you are planning on using it in all forms of water. Incredibly durable, it is perfect for kids and parents alike.
- EASY STORAGE: The 9x6 Feet Junior Member of the Rubber Dockie Family; the Duckling, is Perfect When Portability is Paramount or When Storage Space is Limited.
- TEAR STOP TECHNOLOGY: Our Tear-Stop Inner Matrix Prevents Full Length Lacerations
- PREMIUM QUALITY: The TUFF-HIDE Outer Layer Provides Protection From Everyday Use While Remaining Easy on the Skin
- SUPERIOR SAFETY: We Use a Bold and Highly Visible Green and Orange Color Combination to Provide the Ultimate Visibility in High Traffic Areas
- INCLUDES: 12 feet Elastic Bungee Tether to Anchor the Dockie to Docks or Other Stationary Objects, a Pair of Custom Loop and Hook Storage Straps with Metal Buckles
Many people don’t head out on the water to splash around. Some people want to float on in their mind and body and take their minds away from everyday life. The Intex 9.5′ Inflatable Floating Water Swimming Pool Lake Mat Platform Pad comes in a pack of two which can be music to many people’s ears looking for some quality time on their own on the water.
Its surface space of 9.5’ x 7’ is ideal for an individual looking to spread themselves out and work on their tan or just relax, but can house up to five people, so be sure to spread yourself out wide. The four Connect ‘n Float connectors will ensure it can connect to other floats easily.
For something that looks on the thin side in comparison to others on this list, it is surprisingly durable. Made of 20 gauge vinyl, it feels strong, is easy to inflate in a matter of minutes, and the two extra chambers can give you some peace of mind if you want to inflate it some more. But it does require a lot of air so make sure that you charge it enough.
Overall, a bargain for its price, and with two in a pack, you can use one as party central and the other to store drinks and snacks. Perfect for swimming pools, but not necessarily the waters of a lake or ocean.
- Large 9.5 x 7 foot surface space
- 20 gauge vinyl construction for durability
- 2 air chambers for added safety
- 4 easy to use Connect 'n Float connectors attach to other floats
- Easy to inflate and deflate
This latest model of the SOWKT lily pad has upped its game. Suitable for adults and kids alike and can hold up to 1320 pounds, it guarantees that most people will get enjoyment from this pad.
Made from XPE foam and is 1.3 inches thick it will withstand anything you throw at it. 18 x 6’ in size, it is suitable for most families, and is incredibly durable. You can throw it into the ocean for a fumble, party in a lake, or if you just want to relax in a swimming pool, it seems there is nothing that this lily pad can’t tackle. Partly, this is due to the inner net and heat sealing adding an extra layer of durability to this floating water mat.
It is easily tethered with a bungee tether leash, heavy-duty carabiner, and two extra-long touch fastener straps, so you can fasten it to any object or anchor easily. A fantastic all-rounder for any family that needs a heavy-duty floating water mat for any situation.
With a one-year manufacturer’s warranty, it gives you extra peace of mind if you are concerned you will damage it, but we will guarantee that your family won’t be able to make a dent in this. As it can hold up to 20 children or 8 adults, it is guaranteeing a proper party for everyone concerned.
Overall, this is one of the best out there. Its high-quality XPE foam and durability and the fact it can hold so much weight, this is one of the best out there.
- Quality and Safety: Our newest model of the SOWKT lily pad has lots of room for fun, with its 18x6 ft size and great colors for high visibility and safety. Great float for adults or kids! Holds up to 1320 lbs.
- Relax? Fun? You Got It! Relax or have a blast with family and friends, you choose. Whether on a pool, the ocean, the river or any body of water, this float will provide you with endless memories of fun and time well spent.
- Durability & Storage: 1.3 inches thick and made with High-Quality XPE foam. We developed a proprietary inner net + heat sealing to ensure the aqua pad's high durability. Weight: 28 lbs Size: 6 ft long and ~21 in Diameter when rolled tight.
- In the Box: (1) 18x6 ft Floating Mat (1) Heavy-Duty Carabiner (1) Bungee Tether Leash (2) Extra long touch fastener straps
- Quality You Can Trust: 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty from time of purchase.
Top Floating Water Mat Features To Consider
When it comes to floating water mats, choosing the best for your needs boils down to a handful of considerations. The durability is the most essential of all.
Choosing the best materials will help you to make the most out of the mat. The vast majority of floating mats are made from cell foam, which is a very sturdy material and is what you should be looking for.
When floating on water you may be concerned that the mat is not fit for purpose and there is the potential for ripping or tearing, but cell foam is so strong, you don’t have to worry about this at all.
When looking for the best floating water mat, be sure to check out how they are made. Quality is everything, especially when it comes to the safety of you and everyone using it.
The second thing to consider is capacity. What are you going to use your mat for? If you plan on hosting parties in the middle of a lake, you’re going to need something big to hold everyone in size and stature.
Or if you are looking for a solitary sojourn out into the sea, you will need the right size, not just for you but for your essential possessions.
If you want to do a yoga session on the mat as the sun goes down, you will need something a bit bigger than you. Always go with the right size, otherwise, people won’t be able to join your party or a misstep in your downward facing dog could put you face down in the water.
The ideal size for most people is around 10′ x 6′.
Portability is just as important. While a floating mat is more portable than any other inflatable product out there, you need to find the best size that won’t be a pain to transport.
You don’t want an oversized mat causing you problems because there aren’t enough of you able to load it onto the boat or kayak. You may want to get a larger one but make sure that you choose one that everybody can physically lift.
You should also think about the depth of the mat. You need to pick a floating water mat that is easy to get onto. It’s a good idea to get a mat that doesn’t go any deeper than 7 feet, especially when there are children using the mat.
You should also think about where you are going to use it. Some people like to put the mat on lakes and calm waters, but if you are truly adventurous and want to head further out to sea you have to pick a section of the ocean closer to the shore, not somewhere with choppy, unsafe waters.
A floating water mat can give you some fun in the sun or help you relax a little bit closer to the water. But make sure you choose the right mat for your needs. You may find that it is one of the best investments you will ever make and will add an extra something to your vacation. Float on, and have fun!