Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Fishing Paddle Boards Reviewed
Everything about boating gets better when you add a fishing rod into the mix, and paddle boarding benefits from that same phenomenon. Stand up paddle boards or SUP’s, are wildly fun and are becoming more and more popular by the day.
We knew it wouldn’t be long before SUP fishing went mainstream. If you haven’t seen a fishing paddle board in action, then you likely will soon.
SUP designers and manufacturers are now offering paddle boards specifically to cater to the fishing enthusiast. It just makes sense. Why settle for a one dimensional SUP, when you can add versatility and still remain very affordable?
The best fishing paddle boards combine all the fun of paddling your favorite waters, with fishing features that help you land the big one whenever you have the urge to wet a line.
We love boating around here at Rowing One, and oftentimes we launch the boat specifically for the thrill of feeling that crazy tug at the end of the line. A fishing SUP makes that all the more easy to accomplish, even when your time is somewhat limited.
Since fishing paddle boards are so easy to transport, even a quick drive to the beach in your compact car requires little planning. And the next big catch might be waiting for you when you arrive.
As much as we loving fishing, we love sharing the experience of fishing with friends and our readers. With that in mind we reviewed 5 of the top paddle boards for fishing to help you enjoy the sport that so many have come to enjoy.
Whether you’re in the market for gentle beginner’s gear or something a little more sturdy, you can bet that this paddleboard fishing selection has at least something to offer you. Every single one of these options has notable plus points, and we guarantee that each of them could take your next fishing trip to entirely new heights.
Making an informed choice is going to make a big difference when it comes time to make a purchase. Which fishing SUP will perform the best for you is going to depend on how you want to use it. Considering some of the finer points will help you significantly in the long run.
We offered some of those points that make a fishing paddle board stand out from the rest of the pack. If you want quick answers to your pressing questions, the comparison chart below will also show you which features each model offers.
Top Paddle Board For Fishing Features To Consider
- Stability – Standing, paddling, and casting all require that you keep your balance. Stability is vital when you are trying to make an accurate cast to that cruising redfish gobbling up shrimp in the shallows. That goes for any type of fishing, let alone sight fishing. A wider paddle board is going to be more stable compared to a narrow model, particularly on choppy or moving water.
- Accessories – Rather than buying all the fishing accessories separately, we highly recommend fishing SUPs that come equipped with the full fishing kit. You can save money in the long run and have everything you need to hit the water immediately. Not every fishing SUP offers the same number of accessories. Some boards come standard with rod holders and seating, while others are lighter and better build quality than others. It is very worthwhile to look over the details before you buy. Depending on how you plan on using your fishing paddle board, some accessories will likely offer more benefit for your use than others.
- ISUP vs SUP – Inflatable stand up paddle boards hold a distinct edge in the safety department when compared to their rigid counterparts. Eventually everyone falls while using a SUP at some point. Inflatable SUP’s are very firm when properly inflated, but they are much less prone to cause injury during a fall. Durability is always a potential downside of using an ISUP for fishing, but they are much more portable than their rigid counterparts. With a little care and caution, ISUPs for fishing can last for years to come.
- Tracking – Tracking fins on the belly of your SUP can make paddling much more enjoyable. Tracking fins enhance the boat’s ability to stay on a straight line while paddling. The absence of tracking fins means a lot of zig-zagging across the water. More tracking fins translates into better tracking, so three is better than one.
Top Fishing SUP Comparison Chart
Best Fishing Paddle Boards
Are you fed up with limited angling movement? Are you after a fishing paddle board that provides you with the anonymity to access secret fishing spots with ease? If yes, then the Sea Eagle FishSUP may well be for you.
Famed for its stability and large surface area, Sea Eagle has definitely made significant ripples with this latest SUP fishing release. Made with a 1000 denier drop-stitch construction, the board itself weighs in at dimensions of 12’6” x 40” x 6”. That’s not bad going at all, especially for a board that weighs just 45 lbs and can take an impressive 500 lb capacity onboard. And, all that from a design that you can roll into a backpack and reinflate within just seven minutes!
The ease of the Sea Eagle FishSUP doesn’t end there, either, and the best benefit of all has to be the attachable swivel seat that comes as standard in the comprehensive package. Does it get any better than that when you’re out on the water for hours on end? We don’t think so.
While worries about the stability of this vessel are inevitable considering its inflatable nature, the bottom does seem to prove surprisingly hardy, even on extreme surfaces like class II rapids that may appear as though they’d be a no-go. This surprising ability to cope, alongside the stability offered by the width on offer, could even see you forgetting that you’re on an inflatable at all.
The only real notable downside to this release is the fact that straight sailing can be tricky, with the fins essential for getting anywhere near a straight line as you ride. But, when you consider the ease this inflatable board can bring to any trip, many would argue that’s a small price to pay.
Here is a video overview of the Sea Eagle FishSUP 126:
- Exterior: 12'6" x 40" x 6" / Deflated: 45" x 15" x 10" / Board Thickness: 6"
- Hull Weight: 45 lbs. (hull only), 48 lbs. (w/ motor mount). Capacity: 2 Person or 500 lbs.
- Material: 1000 Denier Reinforced Drop Stitch / Seam: Quadruple Overlap / Air Valves: One Way
- Inflation and Assembly Time: 7 Minutes / Inflation Pressure: 12-15 psi
Anyone in the market for an inflatable fishing paddling board will also want to consider South Bay’s Hippocamp. This offering from a family company that claims high quality and affordable price points certainly has a lot going for it. Unlike Sea Eagle’s FishSUP, this release comes complete with a coiled leash for standing, and a fin set-up with 4-piece carbon fiber paddle. As if that weren’t enough, the two screw-on mounts with multi-angle variations will guarantee hands-free fishing that reaps results.
Specs on this one are around 138” long x 33” wide x 6” thick, and the board can take a slightly lesser but still generous weight of 400 lbs. Sadly, there’s no swivel seating with this design, though the complete package does come with a kayak seat and cooler, among other additions, making this a fantastic choice for customization. Note, though, that the seat isn’t the easiest to install, so perhaps get the hang of that before heading out.
The Hippocamp has you covered on the water as well, with South Bay themselves claiming an unmatched design. The rounded nose certainly does make for better paddle glide, while the full-board rails offer some of the stability we otherwise lose from Sea Eagle’s design. Again, the robust design can help you to forget you’re on an inflatable, with the Hippocamp readily accepting fishers of 6 feet where required. That said, it may take you around ten minutes to inflate the board in the first place, given that only a hand pump is offered as part of the total package. Make sure, then, that you set out with plenty of time to spare, or invest in an electric pump to simplify the process and see you on the water much faster.
- 11'6 Inflatable Paddle Board - Hippocamp - Carbon Fiber + Grey Fishing ISUP - XXL Backpack, Fishing Kit, kayak seat, Isup cooler, 4pc paddle, repair kit, leash, fins
Extending 12ft long by 3ft wide when inflated, Elkton’s Outdoors Grebe paddleboard for fishing folds down to an impressive 38x18x12 when rolled up, making it a conveniently compact option for any fishing excursion you could throw at it. Again offered as part of a comprehensive package including high-pressure pump (manual, beware!) and rod holders, Elkin’s contender certainly provides an all-round experience that you can rely on. There’s even a fold-up seat which, while not a patch on Sea Eagle’s swivel option (again), still makes for a pretty comfortable time.
With two hatches at the front, it’s fair to say that Elkton hasn’t neglected storage with this one. That said, the limited load weight of 280 lbs is significantly less than other contenders out there. Those looking for more lightweight excursions should still find that’s adequate to meet their every need, though taller fishers might need to look for something that’s able to take added rider weights a little better.
While we’re on the subject of slight negatives, it’s also well worth noting that this board isn’t the best for maneuvering in the wind, perhaps in part because of its lower weight tolerances. This isn’t a problem if you’re considering gentle summer fishing trips, but it is worth keeping in mind if you’re planning to head out on slightly more treacherous waters.
That said, the Outdoors Grebe does its bit for durability, with a 15 cm drop stitch and double layer PVC that protect you from punctures or scratches along the way. Stability doesn’t seem to be a problem with this one, either, thanks to its width and length. Beginners, especially, can benefit from the ease that this Elkton release offers.
- Lightweight & Compact-Measuring in at only 38x18x12 in when rolled up and stored away in our unique easy load carry pack. The Fishing sup extends to 12ft long by 3ft wide when inflated and can carry up to 280lbs. This inflatable fishing paddle board is designed to make every fishing excursion convenient and simple.
- Loaded With Accessories & Features – Features an easy to use high-pressure pump to ensure your board stays rigid and strong all day, a lightweight adjustable paddle, easy load carry pack, rod holders, ankle leash and snap in fin giving you everything you need to hit the water right out of the box!
- Pre-Installed Scotty Mounts – Personalize your expedition with the help of pre-installed Scotty Mounting plates that can be used to attach a gps system, action camera, downrigger, anchor or more fishing rods!
- Front and Rear Bungee For Storage – Designed with flexible bungee system for grab-and-go adventures. The front and rear bungee can hold essentials like ice chests, tackle boxes and a life vest to complete your water expedition.
- Built to Last – Made with 15 cm Drop Stitch and Double Layer PVC so you can forget about punctures, scratches or leaks!
Supposedly suitable for everything from pets to fishing excursions, we couldn’t not include an inflatable offering from Isle. These guys have been top of the paddleboard game for a while, and their Sportsman is right up there.
Designed with SUP fishers in mind, this selection comes complete with front and rear Scotty mound for customizable rod holding options, a 6-point front bungee for easy gear access, and a brand new EVA traction pad for maximum comfort and, you guessed it, traction!
As with the other options discussed, buying the complete Sportsman package means investing in a hand pump (again, manual. Why?!) and coil leash, among others. Perhaps disappointingly, however, this is the only board to appear on this list without a seat, pretty much ruling it out as an option for day-long excursions that you can enjoy in comfort.
That rather significant down point aside, the Sportsman is still a tempting option thanks in no small part to its six-inch thick construction and military-grade PVC for guarantee durability. Hence why you could take a dog aboard this one and still not risk a breakage! That’s a benefit any pet-loving fisher would do well to keep in mind.
Again, weight isn’t such a benefit here, with the Sportsman itself only generally accepting loads of up to 320 lbs, though it’s a stronger option than it looks. It’ll undoubtedly hold up to you, your pooch, and any gear you need for a gentle fishing expedition.
- SPECS – Fully Inflated: 11’6” x 36” x 6” | Volume: 287 Liters | Weight 27 Pounds | Supports Riders Up To 320 Pounds | Up To 30% Lighter (Board Weight Only 27 Pounds) | Lighter + Stiffer + More Durable.
- BUILT FOR SUP FISHING – This SUP comes pre-installed with Scotty Mounts which allow you to add Fishing Rod Holders, Fish Finders, GoPro Cameras, Bait Plates, and any other tackle gear you need. We’ve also included 6-point front and 4-point rear bungee systems to keep your fishing gear secure. Includes nose and tail handles to aid in transporting your fully-loaded board.
- ULTRA-DURABLE – Constructed with Military-Grade PVC material. Forget about dings or blown seams thanks to our AIRTECH FUSION LITE manufacturing process that’s durable and lightweight with a unique bond that can't be achieved via traditional hand-gluing.
- INCLUDES iSUP ACCESSORY BUNDLE – All inflatable stand up paddle boards come with a complete package that includes: Hybrid 3-Piece Adjustable Carbon Shaft / Nylon Blade Paddle, Carry Backpack, High-Pressure Pump, 8’ Coil Leash, ISLE Sticker Pack & Manual, and Nylon Touring Center Fin.
- 60 DAY RIDE AND LOVE IT GUARANTEE – Ride it and love it or return it! If you don’t love your Sportsman inflatable paddle board, we will take it back. We stand behind every product we make!
We end with the only kayak fishing SUP on this list – the BOTE LONO Aero. While this addition may seem out of place for some on a list dedicated to paddleboard fishing, trust us when we say that it earns its place and some.
As you can imagine just from glancing at this kayak design, the shape of this model alone can transform your paddle-based fishing for good. With the option of multiple configurations, LONO has even ensured that you can take this one from paddleboard to kayak and back again according to your excursion needs. That’s customization at its best, and it’s just the tip of the iceberg for the Aero’s benefits.
Other exceptional features with this one include a removable elevated seat and a keel guard for stashing your cargo. You even get a cooler to boot so that you can surely make a day of any outing that you happen to take.
Transformations aside, the most notable thing about the Aero has to be its four-chamber construction, designed with the utmost stability in mind whether you’re using this as a kayak or paddleboard. That makes this the ideal solution for even out-of-the-way or extreme fishing trips and priorities.
Perhaps the only downside is getting the Aero back into its compact case once you’ve inflated it to its full 12-foot, 6-inch glory. While the task is easy enough once you get the hang of it, the four-chamber set up can make deflation a little complicated, so make sure to try at home first. As they say, though, practice makes perfect, and this model certainly has the promise to be the perfect peddle-kayak compromise you could stand to make.
- CONVERTIBLE KAYAK & PADDLE BOARD: Can't decide between a kayak and paddle board? With a removable top chamber it converts from kayak to SUP almost instantly. Enjoy the best of both worlds!
- INFLATABLE & PORTABLE: Constructed with AeroBOTE Technology the Lono goes from travel bag to 12′6″ kayak in minutes. Packs down to just 39 × 18.5 × 13.5 inches and 70 lbs. Travels comfortably in its high-quality roller bag.
- STABLE & DURABLE: Lono has 4-chambered construction for stability, 10-inch removable fin for tracking, and ample keel guard for durability. It’s military-grade PVC construction provides an ultralight vessel that’s easy to get in and out of the water.
- FEATURE RICH: Includes rac receivers, KULA port, sandspear sheath, front and rear bungees, grab handles, D-rings, BVA deck pad for comfort and stash nets for storage. COMPLETE KIT with roller bag, hand pump, center fin, foot bar, and repair kit. All you need is a kayak or SUP paddle.
- BETTER AFTER SERVICE: Based in Destin, Florida - we stand by the quality of our boards. All paddle boards are covered by a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty at no additional cost. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or issues!